Sunday, October 16, 2005

To College we shall go....

Me and Abby spent the night last night planning her future!
I was impressed that although she desperately wants to do drama studies, she is thinking about actually getting a job post-studies and doesn't think Drama will get her anywhere.
So we decided on Travel and Tourism studies, I think she'd enjoy that far more than plain Business Studies.
She's decided she wants to go to St Mary Redcliffe 6th Form college, which has an excellent reputation and full of wholesome Christian Boys (hopefully!)
I did spot a Travel and Tourism with Overseas Resort Rep Course... But she wouldn't do it! Damn.
So we got a couple of open evenings to attend, then it's up to Abby to work hard and get the grades!
You got to work to get what you want in life.
Abby really hasn't got much idea of what she wants to do. I was always very focused as a teen. I wanted to be a headmistress..... Nothing flash. Just a headmistress with lots of teachers and pupils under me.
So I ended up a nurse? Which was a profession I'd never even contemplated.
I went for interview for nursing twice. The first time was for United Bristol Healthcare trust.
At interview the Matron asked me what exactly I thought nurses did.
I remember my reply oh so well
"Arrange flowers?"
I didn't get the job.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us18 months later with my life still heading down the nursing track I tried again with another Health Authority and they grabbed me with both hands. A more mature, prepared and focused girl.
Damn, I loved my nurse training. We had soooo much fun, unbelievable wild crazy fun that sets you up for the dull years ahead.
Drink, sex, clubbing, scrapping though exams by the skin of your teeth, avoiding work, hiding from the ward sisters, sneaking men in your rooms. Finding men naked in the showers, Music, tinned food, shared kitchens, arguments and loads of friends.
How I ever made it I shall never know.
Glad I did it though.
Hope Abby has as much fun as I did. (eeeeek)
x

No comments: