Saturday, October 22, 2005

Magic Numbers Bristol 22/10/05

M A G I C
The perfect end to a crap day. The Magic Numbers hit Bristol.
I got Abby the tickets for her birthday.. Of course I had ulterior motives because I wanted to see them too!
We got there and The Webb Brothers had just started their set. I'd heard of the Webb Bros, not heard their music, but the music press had given them some good coverage and I know they've The Webb Brothers Rock
supported quite a few bands including Franz Ferdinand and The Darkness (bet that was fun)
I was immediately drawn to their sound. Very enthusiastic and gritty and they were fun. Lots of fun.
I made friends with 4 lads from Newcastle. One told me he was a male model but found he wasn't in demand much as his muscles rippled too prominently. Another was apparently a photographer and took a few pics for me. They told me they were holed up in some Bristol back street hostel that was terrible. My heart bled for them... Not. They've been to see the MN about 4 times before and were passionate about them. Bless, everytime one of them went to get a round in they all yelled "Run like the Wind Forrest"
Then after an interval when the roadies changed the set around on came The Magic Numbers.
The Giraffe... off with her headThe crowd went wild and a number of people pushed in from of me, including a 7 foot giraffe of a girl.
Now you don't really mind people trying to get a good view but when they completely obscure yours it's just NOT on. I wasn't feeling terribly gracious and had to restrain my hands from pulling her long ginger hair.
The Magic Numbers were class. Sheer out and out class act. I can't fault them.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us they have the most sublime voices and they are exciting and enveloping.
My fav fav song of the night was 'I see you, you see me'

"This is not what I'm like,
this is not what I do,
this is not what I'm like.
I think I'm falling for you"

Angela took lead vocals on that track and she has the most gorgeous voice (think a slightly lilted Beautiful South girl singer). The crowd went mad for her and I swear she blushed with pleasure.
After a while I got fed up of trying to see over Giraffe's head and we went to the back to get a drink. I had a Tiger Beer, which a very special mate of mine was once seen to drink and it was pretty good beer.
Then we spotted The Webb Brothers chatting out front... And headed on out to do some autograph hunting and star chatting. They were such a lush group.
They signed some stuff for us and chatted and learnt Abby's name and stole our pen, then shouted across the hall
"Abby, you forgot your pen"
We told them to keep it. Abby said he'd put the pen in his mouth so she didn't want it back. Damn it, that girl is just not like her mother, is she? :P
They made us buy a CD and Vinyl 7 inch for a fiver.... Would help if we actually had a record player.
So we came home happy.
I'm chilled and we got the Magic Numbers CD on that Abby's Mate brought her. She is very grateful you know!

No comments: