Tuesday, October 25, 2005

hang on a sec.....

Woah woah slow down here a little.
I'm getting some information that I'm finding a little hard to take in.
I saw the psychiatrist today. My word, what a lovely gentle but competent man.
We talked. I didn't dissolve into floods of bitter tears and I listened, there were times when I started to shut down but no! I was good. Trinity roolz ok.
At the end he talked to me. He'd read my notes. He said that I was bipolar type 2. That lots of things I felt and did weren't real. That my sense of danger was severely compromised. He listened to my criticism of Dr Ali.
He upped my bipolar meds and told me that the anti-depressants weren't good for people with bi-polar disease and for that reason alone I had to stop them, He also appreciated that stopping the Effexor was hell and was a bit perplexed as to why I'd been left for so long with very Junior medical staff.
I left fairly elated, you have no idea AT ALL just how good it was for someone to actually listen to me for once.
Ok I know I'm BP, it's fairly obvious. But I wanted someone to acknowledge it so I could move the fuck on.
I went to work, I did ok. I'm home
So I log on to the net.
I type in Bi-polar type 2 and trawl some sites.
Then something jumped out at me. It said that bi-polar patients shouldn't have high doses of anti-depressants as they can kick the illness into severe depressive episodes. Bi-polar illness requires bi-polar treatment.
So the Effexor was making me WORSE?
(NOTE: Antidepressants should be used with caution by Bipolar patients, as some research suggests that antidepressants may trigger switches from depression to hypomania or mania depending on the dose given.)

So I maybe could have avoided some of these awful lows?
Excuse me for being Gob smacked.
never gonna give you up...I've been poisoned. I've been ignored, dismissed, reduced to a wreck and poisoned.
Holy fuck and I see on the TV, Rick Astley is back.
The only way is up (baby)

2 comments:

truly27 said...

That sounds so familiar. What kind of meds did he put you on??

I was on Prozac for awhile, until I found a good doctor and he put me on Lithium and Zoloft.

Anonymous said...

:D
What a wonderful doc! :D Some really great news in that post (not the Rick Astley bit obviously!) Now you've not only got us in your corner, you've got somebody who listens AND can point the way out of this darkness.
*hugs*
Best news in a long time.
Where have they been hiding this guy?
:D