Friday, November 11, 2005

remember


So today is November 11th.
Remembrance Day right?
I got a memory of November 11th. It was my wedding anniversary.
11/11/89 at 11am.
Just why we choose that date and time is a little odd. I was pregnant and I think it was the only date we could get.
I wore white. Laughable. It was his second marriage. His first wife was infertile so hence our haste to find out if I could have brats babies.
We married in a Methodist church that's now boarded up. We had a Brownie and Girl Guide troupe guard of honour. I was a Brownie Guide Leader.
The photographer was called Bob Peters. He arrived after the ceremony was over. He only had one eye. A one eyed photographer. His other eye was glass and it was kind of tilted to the right so when he said 'look Here... You weren't sure where to look.
We had the photos taken in the small back garden. My new husband fell down a hole in the mud at one point... And it was bloody freezing. Global warming these days has wiped away the biting cold feeling of Novembers past.
We had our reception at the local Community centre, hardly class but it was nice.
I didn't eat a thing. My dress was tight and I felt very nauseated with the pregnancy. In the evening, my dress zip broke so I wore a leather jacket on top of it for the rest of the day.
It was a blur. His family were odd. Some of them are really lovely, quite classy and intelligent, then the others were truly embarrassing. Typical family wedding then.
The girls from work came to the wedding and evening party. At about 9pm Debbie pulled me aside and said, it had been a nice day but to be sensible now and not get pregnant for a while. Consolidate the marriage first. Ooops I said.
Then we went to Torquay for our Honeymoon.
I puked every 10 minutes for three days and ended up in hospital with hyperemesis gravidarum and there I bounced back in and out until I had an emergency caesarian section at 35 weeks.
But at 30 weeks pregnant, his mother was tragically decapitated by the Temple Meads flyover by a Juggernaut lorry. So that was our first year of marriage.
Ah yes, let us remember.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Me and Mrs were the witnesses at an old uni friend's wedding once. She must have been 8.999999999 months gone. I couldn't believe we managed to get through it before she welped.

Awful! Me and the groom both got the giggles. Having you never had a serious attack of the giggles during a solemn occasion? The more solemn it is the more you giggle and you just can't stop

Anonymous said...

I've managed to evade the onset of both marriage and offspring thanks in part to a deep seated fear of both, although a handful of friends have succumbed to one or the other. The few weddings I've been to, with only one exception, have been excuses for the least popular family members to get drunk and dance badly.