Friday, November 25, 2005

working for free?

Isn't working for the NHS bloody great?
Yesterday work was a fecking nightmare, in fact I feel tense just thinking about it. So stressful, so busy and I was so unsupported in many issues.
But, I survived and it all got done and I feel quite proud of myself last night. Bearing in mind, I'm not 100% and I don't do great stress with particular aplomb.
I got my pay rise this week. I got 78 pence an hour more. Great. But this pay rise was from October 2004. So logic says I should have had a minor back pay? My calculations reckon £900 before tax. But there was nothing on my pay slip. So I called them. Was I entitled to any? What happened to it.
Ah, yes Ms Trinity. You are entitled to back pay but we are unable to release the funds for a further 3 - 4 months.
So, that means by that time we will have been waiting for our due pay for 16 months?
What industry accepts a pay rise then doesn't get it in full for 16 months?
Unbelievable.
Luckily I got my DLA this month or I'd be very very angry about that crap.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Who else would agree a pay rise and not give it for 16 months? LOL...
The ministry of defence. And when they did, they refused to back date any further than the previous august.
But then.... I guess we're both still talking about being paid by the government so I suppose it's the SAME idiots at the end of the day.
I wonder if there are any NORMAL businesses out there who'd mess pay around as much?
*hugs*

Anonymous said...

Quite agree, although some very large companies get close. There appears to be a universal rule that the larger any organisation becomes the more incompetent it gets. Being enormous, the incompetence of government is practically off the scale.

In IT where I work the productivity of large companies is pitiful compared to that of the small ones, they only get the work because they have the necessary resources.

Same wit almost anything, garages, accountants, you name it, the bigger the company the worse the service.

This holding back your pay makes no sense. Some accountant has no doubt calculated that it makes the figures looks good on some NHS budget sheet. In the meantime you and many other low paid NHS staff are having to claim more tax credits to make up the income (less the slice taken by umpteen useless civil servants) you might have had if they paid a proper market rate and paid it on time.