Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Emma Watson's Bible collection

Emma Watson's Bible collection:

"Harry Potter star Emma Watson is being sent Bibles by furious Christians
who believe the magical movies are a work of evil.
The screen beauty, who plays the boy wizard's best friend Hermione Granger in the series, is building up a collection of the holy books from religious viewers who think she needs 'guidance'.
The 15-year-old confessed: 'I have a collection of about 20 in my room"


I have such a problem with this kind of behaviour. But good for Emma, who seems unphased by the fanatics. I bet they won't complain about the Narnia Chronicles.
I hate religion so much these days. All I can see is the damaged and fractured society religion brings. Maybe it's human nature. If it wasn't religion maybe we'd argue over something else.
Someone tell me WTF these prayer meetings do? The power of prayer? All this does is get into the head of the prayer and reinforce this feeling of having done some good, when in fact you've done nothing at all.
There was a guy at church that I found creepy and OTT in religious ways. But he did do good works with the homeless so he redeemed himself in my eyes with his actions.
I wonder what the homeless think about God though?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Totally true. Religion is blamed for far too much that is human nature. If we had a science based society I daresay we would have conflicts over Schrodingers Principle. I suppose one could argue that real issues are easier to resolve than religious ones, but that's only true if people look at them logically.

To hastle a 15 year old girl for whatever reason is beyond the pale.

Anonymous said...

Homeless? I don't agree with with the "If god exist why does he let such things happen?" argument against religion either. It's simplistic. The true argument against a a god in the Christian sense hinges on free will. I will save that long boring thing for my own blog. It could do with a lift (?) from bottoms and toilets.

Anyhow, nice to have you back Ms Flaps. Provides occasional relief from purgatory.

Anonymous said...

Since your'e into horror, read "Hill of Dreams" by Arthur Machen. Interesting slant on the nature of good and evil.

And religion it isn't about "doing good". Did Christ organise huge charity collections for the poor? I dont think so.

Anonymous said...

If God's gift to man was free will, how come these Christian types are so hell bent on preventing the rest of us from exercising it? Conflict of interest here I say.