Friday, March 17, 2006

"Five bad boys with the power to rock you"

Bow your heads in a moment of worship for the lyrical brilliance of "5ive".

"When I flick da switch make ya hips wanna dip now
I can get you off cos I'm ready and equipped now
Swing for me baby, give me all that you got never
Wanna stop cos you make me feel hot I know what you
Wanna do and dat I feel the same way too give ya what
Ya want through the days and the nights yeah its about
Time that we turned out the lights"
5ive (1998)


I laughed at the Holy Moly newsletter today with the official Scott Robinson Website link. Gawd his mum must have loved Neighbours.
Click the link and wait a moment... Scott winks at you. Creepy or what?
What is it with all these bands wanting to make come backs? Jeez Take That tickets were 65 quid... Not that I wanted one. I think we could live without 5ive returning though.
When Abby was just 8 she was a huge 5ive fan... Yes you were Abby. You can't deny this one.
We caught a coach up to Cardiff to see them at the CIA. Bloody hell, what a day that was. See we also took Danielle. Her first concert. She was just 4.
We had seats on the ground bit... End row. Couldn't see a lot. You never can in these places.

The thing I hadn't accounted for though was the noise. There was a group of about ten 12 year olds sat directly behind us who could scream for Wales.
Why do they scream at these pop gigs?
The screaming started immediately they arrived. Loud piercing noises. They got hyped up to a frenzy. The show started with a selection of male pictures shown on the big screen, Brad Pitt, Westlife, Boyzone... You know the sort. They screamed for every single picture shown.
Thing was, at age 4 every time they screamed Danielle screamed in fear. She thought something was wrong. I spent the whole time reassuring her. She couldn't work out why these silly little girls were screeching.
At one point I asked them to tone it down , they were scaring my child But they were so frenzied they couldn't.
Then an advert came on for some bottled water and they screamed again. I heard one girl say... "Hey we're screaming for water..." A short pause then they screamed louder.
I could have fecking throttled every single one of them.
Blissfully they lost their voices as the show progressed.
The mentality of the teeny pop fan.
And these lyrics were aimed at them?
"I can get you off cos I'm ready and equipped now"
Yep 5ive all the equipment you needed for these kids was a bottle of Evian.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My screaming story:

I remember being sat on one of those huge amusement park rides, the ones where 30 or 40 people sit along a big bench thing, which has two arms either end that lift it up and rotate you upside down, throw you around a bit and generally fling you about. Naturally, along with almost everyone else on board, and even some stood watching, I was vocalising my approval of this process. The lady sat beside me (just after we'd been upside down and shaken side to side) 'asked' angrily that I be quiet as I was 'scaring her kid'.

Trinity said...

I went on a swinging pirate boat once.
I was in shock when I got off.
Never again.