Saturday, March 18, 2006

bad debt...

I feel a lot better today. I feel like I'm recovering from an illness... But today a lot more focused and alive... Well not zombie alive... More frankenstein "I'm Alive!"
I look like crap though...Oh well, no-one to look at me anyhow :)
One of my neighbours came in to see me.
I like her, she's lovely... But she makes me sad. She's caught in this endless circle of poverty and debt that she can't break free of.
At Christmas I had a water bill of 268 quid. I was shocked but stupid idiot I am, I'd forgotten to pay it in instalments. So in January I scrabbled the cash together and paid it off. Then been paying something monthly. Consequently the new bill for next year is in and I'm in credit... kinda nice to be in credit with something... However small.
But she hasn't paid the bill for about 4 years... She owes a grand. She also knows someone who owes 1500. You see when you haven't enough money to put food on the table, then paying for water seems ridiculous. She said It's free water... Why do we need to pay?
Seems the water boards threat to cut off my supply in January for a mere 268 quid was an idle one.
I can see her point, but I wasn't about to point out the need to purify water and deal with sewerage etc. I hate the poverty trap around here. If you live on Social, you simply can't have all the stuff everyone else has... People who work and earn good wages have problems coping with money.
If I win loads of money I'll give her some and help her out of the hole she's dug... Chances of that though.
Wish I could help. It would make me so happy to be able to do something for them. Validate me. As a person. Trouble is, sometimes I can't help myself.

No comments: