Sunday, May 08, 2005

Thirteen Senses


Thirteen Senses a band I discovered on recommendation from the NME. They have quite subtle similarities to ColdPlay and Keane, but are truly excellent in their own rights. It would be unfair to call them just a 'similar' band. A British group from Falmouth in Cornwall.
Up until 8.30 I was unsure whether or not to go. The effort of leaving the house. Having to go there alone, park blab blah. Then I decided what the heck and got ready, in one of my Goth outfits of black witchy strong woman alone :P
Leaving the kids watching Raising Helen, I drove and got there round about 9.00. The Anson Rooms are in the Bristol Uni Student Union Building. Set in up market Clifton. Clifton is a bugger to park in. Rows of tiny roads with cars stuffed each side, then big wide roads with, flaming double yellow lines everywhere. I drove round for 15 minutes. Problem was, that being alone I didn't want to park too far away. Coming out alone in the dark and walking a marathon wasn't a good idea. I went round and round. Ended up by the BBC building... Turned round and went back. Then passing the Building for the 6th time I spotted a place. Right outside the entrance. Made just for me. I didn't even have to do a difficult parallel park.

I got in just before the band came on. I made my way almost to the front. There was an eclectic mix of people there. Students in jeans and tee-shirts. A lot of older women in packs. Some 30 something men with bald heads and far too much to drink. The atmosphere was hot and expectant but chilled and friendly. As the group emerged I felt my usual rush of excitement. Almost sexual in ways. A desire for them to be good. And I wasn't disappointed. They started off with 'Into the Fire' and then 'Lead Us'. Will South's voice was beautiful, strong and mesmorising. The lights were dreamy. People were dancing and singing along. The group seemed humbled and still surprised that they were really hitting the big time. Good looking guys with good sounding music. The bass player Adam was pretty hot!

They played 'Salt Wound Routine' It was weird seeing them play the music I listen to on my Ipod before I sleep. If you don't know who Thirteen Senses are and think you've never heard of them , think again. Because the BBC play snatches of their music regularly in between shows. You'd certainly recognise it.
They have the stage presence, talent, looks and energy. They will be big.
After a while I began to feel a bit vulnerable and turned to leave only to bump into Helen from work with her brother. She hugged me and made a big fuss of me. It made my night to see her. I didn't feel like Trinny no-mates then.
A good evening all told. Thanks to a certain friend who encouraged me to go. xxx

No comments: