Friday, May 13, 2005

Scouty Friday

Fridays. The day I normally work my 12 hour shift. I've got used to it now and don't get so tired but it makes me so weary all weekend. Today was a nice day. Well most of it was nice anyways and I'll leave it at that.
Danz had Guides tonight. But tonight was different. It was a district presentation night. A night to 'celebrate' the achievements of Scouts, Guides and Brownies from many different units. It started at 7 and I said I'd come in after work and watch with the rest of the parents.
So I duly arrived and went in. The place was fairly packed. There were some mums stood at the back, so I stood and watched.... and watched. A scout leader Image Hosted by ImageShack.us(Apparently called Jeffrey) was stood at the front doing a 'Blah Blah' thing. It was amazingly boring. They had a lot of little Rainbows sat on the floor at the front. Not a good thing to do. They get fed up on the floor.
Then another scout leader stood up and took the floor, he was giving a big scout award to Jeffrey. He went on and on about how wonderful Jeffrey was (why are all scout leaders called Jeffrey?)
He was so emotional about it all I thought he was going to kiss him.
Then he said they were having a small break to set up the slide show? SLIDE SHOW?? we aren't scouting in the 1970's. Oh hell, what did I do to deserve that?
I saw it as a moment to escape and collected a very grateful Danz who looked like she was about to die of boredom.
On the way out I passed a rather large young girl in a Scout leader Uniform. She had a name badge on with 'Big Beaver' on it. Hmm I thought. Do Scouts not have the same sense of humour as the rest of the world?

1 comment:

Spaceminx said...

We always get a big crowd of Beavers in when we do the panto at Xmas. It never fails to raise a snigger.