Saturday, May 28, 2005

Sampling

I'm bored of the samey sameness of Virgin FM and have slipped to Vibe FM. Not predominantly my scene at all but variety is the spice of life so my guru tells me.
I was hit last night by the current trend of rapping over old tunes, or using samples of old songs in the middle of current tracks. It's been around for a while, the norm of just recording an old song seems to be gone (Kelly Osbourne!). Now you take a Image Hosted by ImageShack.uschunk of it and write a song around it or just rap over it. Some people do it better than other. I think it's a bit of an art. Eminem seems to be able to do it without you really noticing. You just know there's something familiar there but I heard a dreadful one last night, Kanye West rapping over Shirley Bassey's 'Diamonds are Forever'. WTF? There didn't seem to be any link and the welsh Bassey was just repeating Diamonds are forever over and over. Then there was this bit when he sang...Forever ever forever evah.... in a little piece blatantly copied from 'Miss Jackson' by Outkast.
I guess Music Purists would start a riot with this recent trend but some of it is good tbh.
I really like Audio bullies using Nancy Sinatra's 'Bang Bang'. Mind the reason is my love of Kill Bill 1. But it's fun and funky and makes me smile. I can just imagine dancing to that in Aiya Napa (as if!)
But that track using Spandau Ballet's 'True' as it's base just makes me want to hear Spandau Ballet.
Ps if you can get your ears on the Green Day Oasis and Travis mix of 'Boulevard of Broken Songs' do so now. Because it's ace.

No comments: