Monday, May 09, 2005

Chip and Pin with the over 80's

This Morning I had to pay my ex's cheques into the post office. The queue was snaked out of the building again. Par for the course round here. Whilst waiting patiently I made an acute observation. Most of the pensioners were holding bank cards in their hands. Part of the government drive to do away with paper pension books and pay the benefits directly into a bank account. But this didn't solve the post office queue issue. On pension day they still all queue up and withdraw the whole amount from the account. It's a bit of a social event. Each pensioner takes roughly 5 minutes...Or more to withdraw their cash. Why? For a start the chip and pin process confuses them. This morning all these things happened. The card was put in the wrong way, they couldn't remember their numbers. They couldn't see the key pad to put the numbers in, the post officer had to leave the secure booth come round to our side and key in the number for them. One lady was ok until the guy next to her said he wanted £200 out, then she forgot her number replacing it in her mind with the number 200 (don't ask me how the mind of an 80 year old works)
It took them forever. Then they all had a little social chat. I heard about their illnesses, grandchildren, washing, cats, and what they were having for dinner.
No doubt then they all took the free bus to Asda for pensioner day.
I always remember taking my Gran out shopping one day. She loved bargains. She found one bargain bucket full of goodies reduced and took a few. She liked to collect stuff throughout the year and make us all up Christmas packages wound up with 1/2 roll of sellotape. Trouble was these particular bargains in bright colours and shiny cellophane were packs of condoms. Her sight was never great. She'd have never coped with Chip and Pin. I hope I never get like that. Imagine in 60 years time when I'm 80 (do the math) and they have some talking android dishing out the pensions. Probably be in some new plastic currency shared with the entire world. I won't be able to talk to that about my bunions now will I?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Imagine in 60 years time when I'm 80 (do the math)

*coughs*

Trinity said...

You're jealous of my youth and beauty.