Thursday, May 05, 2005

Report Night


Danika. Chosen to sit on the front desk and greet the parents. Ha!
In a move that appears to be becoming the norm in this house, I forgot tonight was parents evening for Abby.
5.30 pm and we were parking outside the old dilapidated building. The first tutor we saw was the Maths lady (with the nuts remember?) She remembered me and said that things had improved, she was really human and approachable and it giving up 1/2 hour of her time on a Tuesday to give Abby some one to one time.
Then we had Art. A cool woman who said Abby was quite good at art and was well behaved unlike some of her class who she'd like to kill and bury in a concrete block. I liked her!
Then we had English, they're doing an essay on Great Expectations and are meant to use quotes from the passages to support their findings. I love doing stuff like that...Although that book is a little hefty.
Then we had science and things got more interesting. Science was a male teacher. He had a suit and tie on and looked rather humour less. He introduced himself as Mr Crook and looked at Abby's results. The first two modules were ok but the third result was crap. Oh...He exclaimed. That test wasn't good. Abby pipped in 'I'm not being rude Sir, but I didn't understand much of that module' He looked straight at her 'I mean Sir, not being rude but your control of the class isn't very good'
At this point another teacher joined us. A tall man, looked more relaxed and was dressed a bit cooler.
He was Abby's other science teacher, Mr Borne. He takes a different sphere of it.
I told him we were discussing Abby's critisism of the class behaviour. I said that Mr Crook looked like he should have presence in the class room. Poor Mr Crook, sat looking a bit uncomfortable.
They told me that the year group was very badly behaved in general, but they were also very selective and behaved better for certain teachers. I told Mr Crook he should get with it a bit more. He needed to be cooler, wear a rock shirt, not that suit I laughed.
Then he said that he wanted Abby to think of something to be improved that she could work towards. Abby said that if he controlled the class better, she'd be able to work harder. I did laugh at her, she's definitely my daughter. Bet Mr Crook hates parents evening.
The teacher that gave us Bailey approached me and said Hi.
She's lovely. I told her about the science teacher. She gasped..."You never told him to get cooler, that's wicked" (she must think he's uncool too)
Then I spotted a fit PE teacher in his kit. I was devastated when he wasn't Abby's teacher but I did manage a little chat with him.'Gosh you can do GCSE PE?". tsk.


Reported in the Evening Post tonight Abby's school is spending cash on Sky TV to entertain the kids at lunch time. Apparently there's been quite a furor about it. But I happen to think it's quite ground breaking and shows insight. At Lunch they're bored. Bored kids get into trouble. What do you lot think then?


A BRISTOL secondary school is to spend thousands of pounds on Sky TV to stop pupils wandering off at lunchtimes.

Hartcliffe Engineering Community College is also cutting the lunchtime to 30 minutes from almost an hour.
So it's planning to buy six plasma TV screens, costing up to £3,000 each, to show satellite programmes featuring sport, music and entertainment channels at lunchtime each day.

Cool if you ask me. I do hope Mr Crook didn't take offence at my comments. I asked Abby is he was quite 'straight' (meaning lacking a sense of humour) She looked up 'Oh yes I'm sure he is, he has a girlfriend anyways'
Hope she never tells him her mum thinks he's gay :/

No comments: