Sunday, November 21, 2004

Kid TV

Clarrie posted a while back about how great it was to have kids and watch kids TV. Well I emerged from my sick bed this morning (yep still ill, still no voice) to findchannel five on and all horrors 'Hi 5'.
A steps like dance troop with a couple of VERY camp guys dressed in shiny stuff. This weeks story was the Tale of Captain PuffyPants. All singing and dancing to Cpt Puffypants adventures.
I had a minor relapse and had to return to bed.
What's happened? When I was a kid (10 yrs ago) we had cool kids TV. The Magic Roundabout and The double Deckers. Now it's camp dancers and camp telly tubbies.
Sometimes it seems to me like the 'in' thing is to be gay. Act gay. It's very trendy these days to be bi or gay. But I feel this takes away from those guys and girls that really are gay. It's not some trend FFS.
I see NYC* is opening the first 'gay' school in the world. For kids who feel harassed and scared to be openly gay in their schools... Hmmm I thought the idea was intregration and acceptance. Not to identify and separate.Is States that bigoted and behind the times? because certainly where I live...You aren't anything unless you have a bit of the lebian/gayness in you. Even if you do change from week to week and can't make up your mind. Mind I'm a cool mum. I have a scissor sisters CD AND I don't care if any of them do want to be gay. Least they'll have someone to help with the washing up for life.

(* Actually I do think NYC is pretty forward thinking TBH. They also have a superb music scene)

2 comments:

clarrie said...

don't diss Hi5! O learnt his first dance moves from Nathan, and I'm relying on it as part of the 'make my son a gay' programme. For really poor quality campery and shite kids programming, you have to watch cack like Big Cook Little Cook.

Spaceminx said...

Modern kids TV (shudder). It just isn't the same these days. And I'm sorry Trin but I just can't forgive you for your comments.

How can you not like The Clangers? ;-)