Monday, November 15, 2004

My Music

Anyone who knows me knows I love my music. My music taste is wide. My ipod is well used (unfortunately not just by me).
I have a good CD collection. I wonder if CD's will become obsolete with the music future looking ultimately downloadable?
I wonder how people felt when music moved from vinyl to CD? Did they miss their vinyl records? I did have some vinyl but I longed to be able to listen to my music in private and outdoors. To be enveloped by it, just me and the sounds. Of course the CD brought that with it's also perfected sound. Vinyl just didn't 'sound' good enough for me.
So what's on my ipod? Well loads actually from Queen to Muse to Incubus to Glen Campbell to Metallica to Britney (yes I said Britney KB)
What I listen to depends on my mood which anyone who knows me will say is very up and down.
Light Up Light Up, Snow Patrol's beautiful 'Run'My most depressive music is Dido. There's a song on her first album that's lyrics say 'I just want to feel safe in my own skin' . Dido has to have been depressed at some stage to be able to write this stuff. That is my worst feeling. The feeling of being irrationally unsafe.
I also have a selection of angry tracks. Blink 182's 'Stay together for the Kids' makes my hair stand on end. 'megalomania' by Incubus is powerful and the chorus always makes me shout. Ash's Orpheus makes me wild and drive badly ;P
I have some spiritual tracks for times when I don't want to be alone. Coldplay's 'Warning Sign' and the Newsboys 'Shine'.
Then music for thinking and music that makes me feel good. Snow Patrols 'Run', reminds me of someone very special to me and always will. 'Bedshaped' by Keane. This track is so beautifully produced but about 3/4 through when he plays the electric keyboard...That bit ALWAYS makes me smile wildly. Scissor sisters 'Mary' is moorishly pretty and his voice is sublime.
Music reminds me of my past. Coldplay's 'Yellow'.... For someone I once loved. Donna Summer's 'Macarthur Park' , reminds me of being young and out in town. There was a bomb scare and I didn't get home till 4am. My parents went crazy. Bowies 'Life on Mars' reminds me of my teens such an ace track but I remember Pan's People doing this awful dance to it on TOTP's.
I must recommend the new Green Day album American Idiot. The title track is just brilliant and possibly my fav track this year. I saw Green Day live at Cardiff Castle a few years back. They were aces. I climbed over the walls of Cardiff Castle to avoid the crowd on the way out....hmmmm.
The album needs a couple of listens to. A friend told me it was crap a few months back...But it isn't. It's actually rather inspired. Their sound has moved away from the Avril Lavigne teen punk to a slightly more mature sound but without losing the brilliance of Green Days energy and vibrancy. Of Course 'American Idiot' is fantastic and I always stop and take notice when it's played.
The new track 'Boulevard of Broken Dreams' is out soon. Billie Joe's voice is so lush, even Abby commented on it.... Time of your life is a classic.
Beastie Boys is on MTV2 not quite my type...time to turn over I think.
xxx

1 comment:

Keith Horowitz said...

I didn't recognize all the music you talked about. But I think I'd like (and do like!) some of the newer stuff you talked about. I'm working on a list in my head of CDs I want to get for myself at some point.