Thursday, November 18, 2004

CSA chief resigns amid criticism

unsurprising trouble at the CSA

I'm not at all surprised that the CSA is ineffective and the CEO has resigned.
Child support is a very emotive subject. In my experience the handing over money from the estranged father to the child's mother, makes the father feel bitter and resentful. Yet they're his kids.
My experience was that the kids father left us and for 15 months he didn't give us a single penny...Despite the fact that we were destitute. He had a well paid job earning over 2k a month. He then got wind that I was applying to the CSA. (I had little choice). He then moved jobs to a very menial job earning less than half of his previous earnings and started paying me £140 a month.
Then came the csa ruling. £150 a month. £75 for each child. PLUS he didn't have to pay anything for 12 weeks. All my family and friends thought he'd have to pay back money. But no he got 3 months free. I rang and asked why. They said it was an incentive for the fathers to fill out and return the forms. A bonus for them.
I say what about the children? Something is very wrong there.
Now his job has changed and he earns more. But I have no idea what happens now. I guess it stays on that rate for ever. Despite inflation and wage rises.
A woman I know left her husband for another guy. The kids wanted to stay with their dad. So she pays him as she works FT. They never used the CSA. She pays a substantial amount. She never resented it. It's for her kids BUT the main difference is....It's nothing for her to take the girls shopping. Buys them stuff. Shoes, clothes and girlie stuff. She's also always handing out cash to them. That's what teen girls are like. A tenner for the mobile phone, money for a school trip. Money for the cinema. She'll see something that she'll think one will like and buy it.
She's still their mum. I also know a father who does that with his kids too...so I'm not saying it's all men. It's certainly not.
One month I remember Danielle's shoes broke. The sole fell off. I had no money. I asked the ex if he would take her out and get some. I didn't want money. He could choose them...They could have been dirt cheap. We were desperate.
He said ok but he'd take it out of the monthly money. We needed food more. I said no.
My wonderful parents bought her some. They are both retired and haven't a lot either.
Who sees his daughter without shoes? What kind of man?
If you know me you'll also know how much effort it took for me to admit that I needed something from him. He's a fool.

1 comment:

Keith Horowitz said...

That does sound so rough.

We had some friends. He got sick and couldn't work anymore. It took them years to get disability from the government. During that time we helped them all sorts of ways. Including taking their kids out to buy them shoes. Then the money finally came in - with back pay - they paid back a small loan, and now we rarely ever hear from them anymore. Sad, that.