Tuesday, December 06, 2005

trin gets all philosophical


I've been shopping in Knowle. Broadwalk is the most local semi shopping mall to me. It's got few decent shops there. A thriving 99p store and a new Wilkinson's. But bloody hell, it's Chav. The clientele who shop there are rough as 'ouses mate.
They do have a Gregg's which is a bonus, except it's off putting to be stood in front of someone whose personal hygiene needs attention.
It's ok though, maybe I should feel at home amongst my fellow council estate dwellers?
I seemed to follow around a couple of middle aged women with a small girl child in a pram.
She was in a pushchair kicking her legs and chatting to herself. In Gregg's I noticed her babbling and calling everyone who walked past 'Mummy'.
I had a conversation in work with one of the senior Doctors last week. He's German, and at the time I thought they must have different views to us on Child rearing.
He was lamenting the use of forward facing pushchairs.
He said that the child up to the age of three should be facing it's mother. Having eye contact and focusing solely on it's parent. This way the child grows to feel secure.The child listens to it's mothers voice. Listens to her chat and interact with society.
There used to be backward facing pushchairs, but I never see any one using them these days.
It made me think. What does the child make of all the things whizzing past it as it goes out walking. It can't see it's mum or hear her, it hears traffic and strangers and noise.
We always think that these experiences are rich and help the child develop. But I wonder.
I wonder if those kids who need to sleep with mummy at night, who wake up wanting contact, who misbehave and demand attention don't actually get enough time to focus solely on the Mother?
Interesting. I shall think about this again as I watch that dreadful House Of Tiny Terrors.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a very interesting point about forward/backward facing pushchairs.

Being a techical person, it shouldn't be hard to bolt on a large LCD flat panel display and a web cam so that the child sees it's mother, or alternatively an images you think may be suitable, such as advanced alegbra or maybe images of monkeys.

I think I'll have a lie down now.

Anonymous said...

If I had pushed my kids around facing backwards they would have got all philosophical too. Christ! is that what I'll end up like?? And then they'd have drunk themselves to death by the time they were 8.