Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Keeping Mum

Keeping Mum (2005)
I went to see 'Keeping Mum' last night at the cinema. I'd seen the trailers and TBH thought it looked hilarious.
Well, to be fair to the film. I did enjoy it. But I kept waiting for something major to happen. A purpose to the film. Something really laugh out loud funny. But it never came.
It was beautifully made, excellent scenery and the acting brilliant. But I think it was the material they had to work with that fell down.
Rowan Atkinson playing the bubbling idiotic Vicar /yawn .......old, old old. And he wasn't even funny. Just gentle and bumbling and ineffective. We don't find that in the least amusing any more.
Patrick Swayze as the American slime ball, all orange tanned and spangly posing pants, just was not interesting. It was unfeasible that Kristin Scott Thomas would find him attractive at all.
Quaint, gentle, English, leisurely with a predictable and all so happy ending.
I think me Mother would love it.

No comments: