Monday, December 19, 2005

Am I better? Why yes Sir

A slow realisation began to hit me Saturday night. My moods have been so much better. Even my usual weekend lows have gone. Mind I can normally find something to feel miserable about. That's the art of being me!
But on the whole, I'm a zillion times better. Stuff that was so important months ago means nothing now. My thinking is more rational and I have a little more energy... Mind I wouldn't rave about that. It's hardly Paula Radcliffe energy.
I wanted to go to Church Sunday. I feel drawn to the place this time of year, I love Carols. I love the whole Baby born in a stable scenario. It comes from working in a baby ward. On Christmas Eve at about 6pm, when it's dark and the fairy lights are twinkling , the carollers come onto the ward and stand and sing carols to the Babies. The little one's who stay Christmas are the sick ones, the ones who can't go home... Too poorly. There they lie in their tiny oxygen boxes. Usually their first Christmas. With tinsel round the cot sides and "Away In a Manger" and it makes me cry every single time.
I am honored to work where I do, to look after other peoples babies and children. What better job?
We had a really sick one brought in on Friday. She arrived half dead. We noted her death like pallour and laboured breathing immediately and quietly began to panic with purpose. Never outwardly frantic but inwardly your heart is pounding. I'd booked her a bed on one of the wards and I raced round to tell them I was coming round with a sickie... But one look at the place and I just knew there was no way they'd cope.It was hectic there so I launched myself on the other ward, apologising for the intrusion but I needed them and I needed them NOW. And they all dropped everything to resuscitate this child. She was so sick that we couldn't get a line in. There was a worrying 10 minutes, then relief and after some time and treatment a different child. I spent some time talking her parents through the procedure and reassuring them.... Never be too reassuring. You never know the outcome. But I'm experienced enough to know stuff and I knew the Doctors we had on were excellent, and she'd be fine in the end.
I could tell it had made a difference because after it ended I caught the Dad's eye and he gave me a thankful look. We'd connected and he'd felt reassured and in control with me being there. I dread to think what another hour would have done though. I'm not sure she'd be here now.
That's what makes the job worth while.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Funny how some aspects of religion appeals to us ungodly. Some of my favourite music is religious "Jesu joy of man's desiring" "I know that my redeemer liveth" "In the deep midwinter". Maybe him up there is trying to call us back.

Anonymous said...

:-D
Nothing else to realy say ....
just :-D

XXX

Anonymous said...

Thinking about your recovery Ms Flaps, I don't think we can allow it.

Your blog will get very dull like the average normal person's blog. You will start whittering on about recipes for caramel pudding and saving old clothes for Age Concern and telling us how pretty the morning frost looks on the privet hedge. And instead of rages about the traffic we will have to read how it was a bit chocka this morning but never mind, you enjoyed listening to Terry Wogan on the radio.

I think us fans should get together and think what we can do to reverse this alarming development.