Thursday, December 15, 2005

Narnia


Work was crazy last night. Not enough beds, stressed staff and lots of patients. So when I got home and had a surprise phone call inviting me to the cinema I thought for 2 secs and then said Ok.
We went to see Chronicles of Narnia. I wasn't completely sure I wanted to see it, but I'm pleased I did because it was gorgeous.
I disagreed with Jonathan Ross's criticism that the Children didn't have enough depth. I do agree lots of stuff wasn't explained, but as in Harry Potter, it's impossible in the time scale given. Besides, haven't most people read the books?
The film has elicited a very emotive response from some quarters about its very obvious Christianity message.
Aslan the lion shakes his mighty mane and roars out across Narnia and eternity. Christ is risen!
Into battle "Onward Christian Soldiers" Marching against Evil and the devil (here portrayed by the White Witch) The selfless sacrifice of the mighty lion to save all that is good and his rising from the dead. The betrayal by Edmund over and over that actually evoked a powerful hatred of him by my kids. But wait. Ed is a little boy and facing such insurmountable odds, I guess he was trying to save himself... Normal I think?
CS Lewis's fanaticism towards his religion has set a precedent to people not to enjoy his stories. But aren't all the best stories about Good vs Evil and Good prevailing in the end? I guess the bible is an excellent story but with so many holes in it, too many to be taken seriously by me.
If you don't dig too deeply below the celloid film cells on the surface it's a gorgeously shot, enjoyable Yarn that never dragged and made me want to see snow again.
It's a kids film. My girls desperately want a sequel and FFS if the truly dreadful 'Cheaper by the Dozen" can get a sequel, I'm sure this one would too.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

all the best stories are about Good vs Evil and Good prevailing in the end?

Maybe, the problem is the way the Christian right define evil. There are no real devils, so that means the definition includes people like you and I who believe in a secular society, individual freedom and laws based on rational argument.

I do not know enough about C S Lewis to say if it is fair comment on him but I agree with much of that Gaurdian article with reference to many Crsistians and other faiths.

Stephen said...

Given that it's the second book in a seven book cycle, The Horse and His Boy is the next one... then Prince Caspian, The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, The Silver Chair and finally The Last Battle. Then there's the first book, The Magician's Nephew.

But the allegory in the story is sooo blatent, it's painful. C S Lewis is like that, though - try
The Screwtape Letters for some of his less-veiled propaganda

Anonymous said...

"That Hideous Strength" was one of his. Liked that, if it had a message I've forgotten it.