Friday, September 23, 2005

Happy Cock


Maybe a little known but semi interesting fact about me was I met my ex husband via a dating agency. 'Match made in Heaven' charged 50 quid for several introductions to men they matched for me in my area.
There problem was a distinct lack of women willing to join this kind of agency. I think nowadays (with internet dating and speed dating), times have a changed.
I was inundated with men, had numerous calls. The bus driver from Lawrence Weston... Imagine the free bus travel for life (missed out there) the body builder who was moving to SA and wanted to take a wife with him. And numerous other weirdos.
My ex husband seemed relatively normal in comparison.
But our very first date was made at a local pub. 'The Fighting Cocks' in Knowle. I turned up in my car and met him in the car park. I didn't like him much, but he wasn't as weird as the rest and didn't scare me. What wonderful foundations to begin a marriage.
On one of our wedding anniversary's they changed the Pub name to the 'Happy Cocks' and changed it to a Hungry Horse restaurant. But the pub certainly didn't live up to the expectations of the Hungry Horse franchise and it closed recently, causing a furor amongst the locals.
So how I laughed to read today's Holy Moly newsletter. Holy Moly is fun, not quite as bitchy and cutting as PopBitch but well worth a look.
So imagine my laughter and face today to find, the Pub of my marital meeting, featured in the Holy Moly newsletter.......
It's title.. The greatest pub in the world EVAH!
Not for me.

No comments: