Sunday, September 11, 2005

Goodnight Princess

I got hopelessly lost on the way to Katie's funeral. I'd planned the route and timing well, but they'd shut the A38 and I was completely thrown. I turned round and started driving in the general direction of Thornbury. There was one moment when I thought I was on a dual carriageway, and it was only when I saw a car coming towards me in the same lane, I realised it wasn't. Still feel a bit spooked by that now.
I went the wrong way and a nice elderly couple outside their house redirected me.
I got there, 5 minutes late. They were singing the first hymn.
The chapel was packed. Standing room only. All people wearing bright clothes and crying.
Katie had a beautiful pink coffin. The most delicate pink. The service was bright and hopeful. Memories of Katie, happier times.
Marie read her Eulogy. I was so proud of her. She loved Katie and I know she was very emotional. But she didn't cry. She read it all. At the end I saw people wiping their eyes and nodding in agreement with her words.
She ended with;


"When you think of Katie, don't think of today.
Think of life and energy and love.
Because most of all Katie gave us love".



We were told that when Katie grew up she wanted to be a Disney Princess. The ceremony ended with 'Dancing a Catchy Rhythm' which is the Disney parade tune.
Then we all followed that tiny pink coffin into the woods where she was buried under a beautiful tree by a wooden bench.
The most poignant moment was at the end when her Mother walked over to the grave and stared in and said quietly "Goodbye my darling".
She was so brave.
It's hard to watch other peoples pain. Almost like a voyeur. Peeping in at something you shouldn't. Something so private and deep.
The funeral is over, but for her parents, the long healing process has only just began and some never heal from such tragedy.
A bereaved mum in work once said to me, "But I'm not a mum anymore. I have no child now".
I replied "You will ALWAYS be her mum. And she will always be your daughter, that's the one thing no-one can ever take from you".

Sleep Tight Katie. I hope you're in your pink Princess Castle now, playing and dancing for all eternity.

No comments: