Monday, September 12, 2005

not nice

I'm pleased Danielle has settled in so well at school,though today she did say Josh (who?) had punched her twice in the arm so she knee'd him in his groin (ouch)
My mum was telling me about her neighbours little boy, who started Easton and Gordano school (St Katherines) last Monday. He has to catch the school bus up there, apparently he's an excellent swimmer so they choose that school for their facilities.
He'd made a couple of visits to the school last term and used the school bus, the Pink Bus as they call it. It cost one fifty return and he was happy.
On Monday he set off in his new school uniform and full kit, all his books and PE stuff. (You never know what you'll need first day). He arrived at the Bus Stop and the Pink Bus arrived. He got on and handed over his 1 pound 50p. The bus driver stared at it and said the fare had gone up to 2 pounds and 50p. The little lad panicked and said he'd bring it in tomorrow. Nope, the bus driver wouldn't let him on but did say he was doing the rounds and would reappear by the Robin's Pub in about 10 minutes, so the lad ran all the way home. He appeared puffing and sweating at his mum's', barely catch his breath. Grabbed another pound and ran off. He reappeared a few minutes later. He'd got to the pub and the coach driver had pulled away without him.
His first day. He was distraught.
So his mum rang a mate and they drove him into school.
Then she complained. The school weren't interested. They don't run the coach, how kids get to school is not their business.
The coach firm had been taken over by a new firm. Explaining the price increase. They were mildly apologetic and gave him a free journey the next day (deep joy)
How glad am I that my kids don't have to depend on transport to get to school.
Mind I guess Abby will be catching the bus to College... If she goes. She asked today if college was every day and was shocked when I said yes. I think 2 days a week would suit her... grrrrrr.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Times change :(
I work with a guy who used to drive busses. W've talked about this sort of thing before. He always said that as passengers weren't counted on and off the driver could use his discretion as to what sob story he listened to. Basically, if he had a nipper or a granny he'd let them off, if he met and attitude he threw them off (bearing in mind this was portsmouth about 15 years ago I think you know what i mean by "threw them off ;)")
My point?
What miserable B*****d wouldn't let a child, clearly in his school uniform owe 50p?

Trinity said...

Injustice to kids makes me see red. How are they meant to grow up caring and decent individuals if that's the way they are treated.
Somehow though the picture of a small 11 year old boy all worried and tearful breaks my heart. They can be quite sensitive. Bless.
I was bloody terrified on my first day at school.

clarrie said...

don't worry 'bout Abby, she should get a nice bicycle and cycle there and back and not have to worry about buses or bus fares hurrah for bikes.

clarrie said...

PS Danz & Josh, sounds like Lurve to me ... ;-P

Trinity said...

I've never knee'd any one I fancied in the groin... maybe that's where I'm going wrong.
Me thinks about R in awe. He must be a strong man.
As for Abby on a bike.. I think you got more chance of seeing England win the world cup.
Exercise and Abby don't go in the same sentence,... no book.