Monday, April 25, 2005

Trin learns something? Nah

Today was a hospital mandatory study day. As normal I wasn't organised and thought it started at 9.30 (I was wrong it was 9.00)
Abby threw a sickie at me as I was getting ready to go. Said she was ill, tummy ache. Still not sure about it, but she looked fine to me when I got home. Hmph.
So I set off and the traffic was light, the traffic lights were all green and it was looking good. Then the Bridge swung and as I hit the Cumberland basin the traffic was stacked right back to the Long Ashton Bypass. So I detoured through town, tediously and was very late.
I missed the whole first lecture (thank God). The second lecture was Paediatric life support. A very basic refresher. Did you know over 400 kids a year in this country still die from choking? Apparently the main culprits are cherry tomatoes and grapes. These things are so soft that when you do the tummy thrusts or bang on the back all they do is collapse a little and not budge. The trainer recommends cutting them at least in half before you give them to kids. Even 5 year olds can choke on them.
Then we had fire safety. An old guy, one of these I used to be a fire officer type. Very dull and preachy, ok the topic is important but I didn't like his style of lecturing. Also he seemed to think he was clever he used BIG words in incorrect places. Nothing annoys me more than someone using a 'big' word to make themselves seem intellectual but using it wrong. He kept using the word generic as a fire reference and then said something was ambitious instead of ambiguous. As a consequence I couldn't get my head around his lack of language understanding so switched off.
The Food hygiene. Oh God BIG yawn. FFS we're nurses? We know about bloody cleanliness. Plus as baby nurses we're obsessed with cleanliness. But she went on and on and on. Never put food on the floor. Duh, never reheat food that already been reheated (I'm going to sleep now) Never pick up cups of hot tea by the rim always use the handle (I want to kill her)
Then Lunch. Best part of the day.
Then manual handling. No we don't get to manhandle men. Damn shame that. We had to answer questions about the health and safety act of 1974 and then get into groups and practice getting patients from the floor to the bed etc. BUT nowadays we aren't allowed to lift anything! Too risky for litigation. Then we had scenarios. I had to be a 9 year old boy called Ryan with severe arthritis and they had to get me out of bed into a chair without lifting me.
Ha! I made their lives hell. I kept yelling for the playstation and telling them they didn't do it right. Just like a real 9 year old. Least they laughed at my bit.
So it finished at 4.30. I was brain dead by that time. Had to come home and sleep. Too much info.
Thank God it's over for another year.

No comments: