Friday, April 22, 2005

Sigur Ros

Image Hosted by ImageShack.usSigur Ros to play two UK shows - NME.COM

Why do Manchester get all the good stuff? I saw Sigur Ros a couple of years ago in Bristol and I got their albums. Lush genius music. If you don't have a cd in your collection, then it's not a collection (says Trin)
I did a review of the gig for PopKitten but I'll post it here for you again... It's prob crap but maybe shows how much I enjoyed it. A Sigur Ros gig isn't just a gig but an Experience.

I saw Sigur Ros play live at Bristol Uni at the end of 2002. I went with a friend who was a dedicated fan, she stood right in the front hanging over the railings and later recounted tales of guitarists playing with bows and strings breaking and the mesmerising picture of musicians playing their heart out with eyes closed and sweat pouring off them.
I went to the back, dunno always been a back person. I like the watch the people as well as the band. I'd been warned that the music is intense and they were right. It was loud but not hurting loud rather like unable to think of anything but the music loud. The hall was filled with floating light images. From all different angles swimming round and round and bouncing off walls and people and floors.
After about 15 minutes gradually people started to sit down, or rather fold like a pack of cards onto the ground. People slumped against the walls with eyes closed and temples furrowed in complete concentration. Couples lay out on the floor holding each other tightly. The music was totally enveloping seeping through every sense and taking you to a far away place. Sometimes it was music to cry to, sometimes music to hope to. Music to repair the damaged psyche.
After it was all over and we'd applauded like the gratuitous crowd we were. I felt like I'd been through something spiritual.
I'll never forget it and highly recommend the experience if you get a chance.

1 comment:

Jude said...

Take meeeeeeeeeeee I love the lowry.