Wednesday, September 15, 2004

Bailiff Bother

The woman who lived here before me seems to owe a bit of money in unpaid fines. I've had court letters and bailiffs sat outside the house and no matter what I do they persevere. This woman had a car accident in March and didn't have any MOT or Insurance or Tax and when the cops caught her she gave MY address.
Today the Bailiffs are due to come and remove her furniture! Hmmm but she doesn't live here. I've been here a year now and it was empty for ages before that.
I was ok until I suddenly realised it's an unpaid COURT FINE. That gives them the right, with police help if necessary, to break down the door to gain access. So I phoned them up and explained yet again.
I remember that bailiff programme on BBC1. They filmed a bailiff hammering on a door at 7am to get money for a court fine. The lady answered in her nightie. She was American, only been in the country a few weeks. The previous, fine owing, resident was long gone. This poor American woman was terrified. She knew nothing of bailiffs and the like. She thought he was trying to attack her. She called the police and hid sobbing. The police came and were very cross with the bailiff. He still insisted on some ID from her, which was finally given with gentle and apologetic coaxing from the police. Poor woman.
So I'm fretting they'll do that to me. Bailiffs are never good looking either. They are all stocky and bull dog looking with a sarcastic tone. Tsk watch this space.

No comments: