Thursday, September 23, 2004

Wild Work

We woke up this morning with Danz not well, here we go, I thought. It's hard when you're a single working mum and the kids are ill. Work is quite good and gives us family days if we need them, but I'm not the use and abuse type and besides it's not the sort of job that you can just take days off. So I found someone to look after her after a push (my poor old Gran).
I arrived at work to find utter chaos. They had us booked for sixteen patients in 2 hours. And they all needed stuff done. There was just me and Rach and three students....Oh God!
So my feet didn't stop until about 1pm. The students were okish, TBH they were just responding to orders rather than learning. But there again! The best way to learn is to do it! There was a point when we simply didn't have enough room for them all. I found myself, cajoling the docs to get on with it and after a while one turned around and accused me of being very bossy As if!
I do think I earned a healthy, don't fuck with her, kind of response from the students though. They stopped standing around with their hands in their pockets and rewrote the kardex's when I pointed out I would not accept such illegible handwriting.
Glad to be home though. The house, after being so tidy for my guests, is a mess again. Plus I've got tons of washing to do. Abby brought home a letter from school saying they want 25 pounds for an art kit so she can do her GCSE in Art. WHAT? Is this normal? She also asked for a Maths book. She told me, much to my incredulousness, that she hasn't had a proper Maths teacher during the whole of her secondary schooling. Just a succession of supply. Seeing Abby's main issue is with Maths, this is appalling. Plus her new teacher, though really nice, can't control the class. The class is at a lower level..... Because Abby has a prob with Maths. These lower level kids don't seem to want to learn. I'm not sure what to do about it. Once they go to Secondary education , you seem to lose that autonomy over what happens.
On a better note, Danz is receiving extra help at her school and wheels are in motion to help her.....But ONLY after I went in (Steve told me to!) and spoke to them. What's going on with Education these days?

No comments: