Thursday, September 16, 2004

Commons Joke?

I have to say it, but are we a laughing stock round the world? I was shocked as I saw those protesters in the commons yesterday. Not at the protesters but those ridiculous looking security guards trying to run in, with a ton of sword metal at their hip? WTF? Is this the 21st century or what?
So men in tights guard Tony Blair.
Ok, Most are former army officers but, by tradition, wear frock coats, knee breeches, black tights, buckled shoes and carry swords. Jolly lovely to take pictures of but in this day of suicide bombers and evil threats, really appropriate?
The chief security guy looks about 80 and had velvet knee breeches on as well! (didn't notice a basque though)
Imagine... Intruder enters building... 'hang on whilst I unbutton my frock coat so I can tackle you mate'.
The Americans look robotic in their suits and armoury they carry, but they look feasible as security guards. I suggest Combats and a gun...Ok no-one likes guns. But hey the baddies have them. So we have to respond.
We have guns and bullet proof clothing at airports but swords and fancy dress at parliament. Very endearing.

No comments: