Friday, October 15, 2004

Hanging with Hannah


Who in their right mind would want to buy a lifelike 8 year old female doll?
Read the Spec :
Posted by Hello
Remember what it's like to have an eight year old around? Collectible "Hannah," a long-limbed, lively strawberry blonde with bright eyes, unruly hair, and a non-stop personality that will amaze you! To enhance the look of a real little girl, this vinyl doll wears cross-stitch embroidered denim overalls over a pink blouse with lace trim. She even has tiny flower earrings with sparkling pink stones! Such a pretty girl!
Best of all, Hannah is constructed and weighted so you can pose her almost any way you can think of! This doll from Ashton-Drake is such a realistic doll that you simply must have her for yourself. One look and you'll love Hannah forever - order now!
Assuredly one of the most realistic dolls you've ever seen - you'll be amazed at her open-mouth smile (showing precisely sculpted teeth), blue-grey eyes, long strawberry blonde hair, and beautifully sculpted hands and feet.
Specially weighted and fully posable - show off Hannah in any setting in your home!

$200 of fun? fully poseable? will fit in any setting? Paedophile's dream?
This is really scary. That people out there buy this stuff? Have a real life size 8 year old, doll in their homes? Do you take it around with you, move from room to room? I just don't get it.
Check out some of the others. Emily and Jasmine Real ugly. Ok lots of newborns have a scrunched up raw look at birth but do you really want a doll like that? Strange old world we live in (would you really want a doll if you're over 10? ok Corgan might!Feck the plush Kitten's not included)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just bought one. I have always loved dolls of all kinds, but most especially the beautifully sculpted, posable ones. Why? Dolls are representations of various "sorts and conditons" of humanity. Doll play explores one's own interaction-real and ideal- with others. Hannah in a sense represents my 8-year-old self. Or, an ideally-behaved adorable child. Or, a child whose behaviour I understand because I create the behaviour. My favourite doll age is that of 8-9-10 years old. Makes sense-it was my favourite age. Baby dolls interest me much less. "Lady" dolls are fun to manipulate in dramatic play situations. My lady doll play is that of the drama queen I never dared be. My feelings about my dolls, whatever their imagined characters, are benevolent. It's a bit like acting with a proxy. And detailed doll sculpts are an admirable art form. Hope this helps you understand something of doll collectors. Smile-it's not as serious as you seem to think.

Anonymous said...

I thought I might add, having seen some unlikely suppositions about doll collectors on another site, that all the doll collectors I know tend to be women who have a strong inclination toward the sweet and innocent- and prepubescent- idealization of childhood. My Barbies never had sex, but they sure did go through dramatic childbirths often enough. I am a 58-year old-grandmother. I have 8 childen. I had a very happy childhood, filled with dolls and toys. I like romantic comedies and all movies must have happy endings. My favourite colour is pastel pink. And I was a union ironworker. Go figure.