Tuesday, October 12, 2004

My Dyslexic Danz

I saw Danielle's teacher today and they've diagnosed Dyslexia with the help of the official scorer. She's classically dyslexic. In all other ways she's an intelligent, bright child. But her reading age is far below average and she has a problem with audio sequential skills.
It's often hereditary and I think her father is dyslexic now. The more I think about it. Imagine being dyslexic and not diagnosed all those years ago> just being classed as stupid.
So I need to do some work on this. Research to find out what I can do. Apparently many parents have to pay for extra help to overcome problems. Not good.

2 comments:

clarrie said...

I'm glad Danz has got a diagnosis and help, rather than being labelled as 'thick'. I hope she never gets put off of reading and writing, I love reading her blog! She expresses herself beautifully, which matters more than spelling. Spell checkers can help with the spelling but they can't help you write well in the first place. Go Danz! Oh and Trin, if you have any problem getting extra help for Danz, try contacting the Advisory Centre for Education, they have publications and a help line and stuff

Anonymous said...

I was just randomly searching for Bristol blogs this evening and found yours - and I love it. If you live where I think you live, I would recommend that you contact the PiPa project at the Gatehouse Centre. They should be able to help you get extra dyslexia support for your daughter. Tel: 9781708 and ask for Julie. Good luck.