Tuesday, August 09, 2005

New Doctor

I saw the new psychiatrist today. He's from Kuwait. His English was ok but I did have a job understanding a few things and he misinterpreted me a lot.
He said my problem (after a few seconds of meeting me) were that I had work burn out. It was common. He said something about changing my hours, for a second I thought he was going to suggest I gave up.
He asked about sleeping. My sleep is bad... why? because the drug withdrawal won't allow my brain to rest. The brain storms or zaps or sparkies, that hit your brain. They aren't painful just horrid. They make you stop in your tracks and feel like someone's trying to take over your head. I'm not entirely sure if you havent experienced it that you'd understand.
Anyways, I said I slept poorly so he suggested a course of sleeping pills. FFS! More pills? I don't think so.
He then told me to reduce the effexor to 50 mgs. I helpfully pointed out that wasn't possible as they don't come in that dose.
So he said drop to 37.5 for 2 weeks and stop.
To say I'm worried is an understatement. How am I going to function? At about 8pm I can't even speak. The words refuse to come out.
Well watch this space. Hmmm there are some out there that may say Trin without words would be terribly nice!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I feel for you. I do.
I took Zoloft (turned me into a zombie) and then Effexor, which is really awful when you try to get off it!! I even had tachycardia and palpitations for months...after trying to get off it! Dangerous stuff. British reports have indicated Effexor can cause heart irregularities...anyway, if you hate the stuff enough and feel like adding your name to this online petition, be my guest! (Not sure how to add a link here so you may have to copy & paste)http://www.petitiononline.com/effexor/petition.html
I'm not sure what you have but has anyone suggested fibromyalgia or even mentioned it? I mean, I haven't read all the archives to your blog, just this page...so I might be speaking out of turn here. I have yet to get to the bottom of my aches/pains/poor sleep/depression/anxiety. Tried the antidepressants but I feel so awful about the side effects they all seem to have, so I plucked up the courage to call a psychiatrist today and get past the stigma of seeing a bloody shrink for mental illness...sigh...I feel so bad I have to do something. Perhaps I'll be back to read more. I'm British living in Minnesota now and I love my current husband, who's American, so very much - he doesn't deserve to see me down and apathetic. (My ex was an Iranian, abusive on all levels - he messed me up something rotten I believe!) If you ever want to talk, I'm at home with my 2 year old Natasha who keeps me busy, but not to the point where I can't email or blog now and again! All the best to you....K