Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Dealing with the Doctors

Venlafaxine - Enpsychlopedia:

"Venlafaxine is somewhat notorious for its severe withdrawal symptoms upon sudden discontinuation. (The recommended discontinuation is a drop of 35 mg a week, and sudden stops are usually advised only in emergencies.) Wyeth-Ayerst refers to these severe withdrawal symptoms in its literature by the euphemism 'severe discontinuation syndrome'. These have a tendency to be stronger than the withdrawal effects of many antidepressants"


Tomorrow I have to see my GP and psychiatrist. I rang the psychiatrists secretary in the week and she gave me an earlier Appointment.
I hate seeing doctors. I get agitated and nervous, but I am so very angry about stuff this week. I'm not sure how I'll contain myself. How to approach it. The psychiatrist is a very junior doctor. An Iraqi, with fairly good English. Just a job though. My consultant is new, a faceless name. Can't even pronounce his name. Seems he is Italian and has emigrated here in the past month.
What ever is the point?
But my main gripe is with their lack of communication. Informing me that Venlafaxine withdrawal syndrome exists. That is is the 2nd worst drug in the whole pharmaceutical drug range to get off off, behind Seroxat . They didn't warn me, they gave me no ways of coping and they gave me no support at all. Even when I wrote to them and said "Hey I want to die....help me" No-one as much as blinked an eyelid.
I'm lucky though, I'm educated, intelligent, have the internet to research stuff, and some good mates out there who support me. But there are those not as fortunate and sadly those are the ones who don't live to tell the tale.
So, I'm going to bed now, to think about what I'm going to say tomorrow.
Hmph.

No comments: