Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Geeky PC stuff

How to Reinstall Windows Without Losing Your Data

Hmmm a bit late for me. I got the Packard Bell back from the repairers after 2 weeks. I don't think it took that long but they just didn't call me. Anyways the guy said my lack of virus software was the main problem and promptly sold me some Panda security for 30 quid. However when I got home it won't load. It says it needs 128 mb ram. I think the PC has this, but I'm confused. So I rang the shop and they said bring it back.
Well considering it's 10 miles away, I feel a bit jaded this week and it took me ages to reconnect the damn tower... I thought better of it and bought Norton online. So I lost 30 quid.
Norton has found a trojan called Trojan/killAV but it can't remove it... So what's the bloody point, I ask myself!!
Anyways here's another little gem for all you people better with pc's than me!!
How to Reinstall Windows XP Without Having to Reactivate With Microsoft

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not trying to sound clever or anything, but you can get lots better for free, like AVG from www.grisoft.com. Everything like that you can get a desent amount for free. That and Norton isn't actually that great.
Sorry, you don't even know me, I'm a friend of Shaly's.

Keith Horowitz said...

A bunch of the latest viruses go out of their way to disable one being able to remove them - by blocking anti-virus software, disabling anti-virus software, and by running in pairs so that if you stop one, the other just restarts it's twin. I had to boot my wife's laptop into safe mode to reinstall the anti-virus and clean up the infection. Grisoft is pretty good. I have it on the kid's computer.