Sunday, August 21, 2005

I want


I really want the new Gorillaz figures. You know I'm an avid Anime fan and these figures smack of really cool Anime. I've always loved cartoons too but they have to be a certain type, a realistic or futuristic type. Not some Scrappy Dappy Doo. Actually Scooby was quite cool before they infested him with the flea Scrappy.
Had a good day. Marie rang!! She's coming round on Wednesday. I haven't seen her for too long. I'm scared I'm getting used to this staying at home milarky. A lady of leisure. Never have been though. From the age of 16 I worked. I worked my way through college and never stopped. I went back to work full time after Abby was born. She was 6 weeks old and I'd had a caesarian. Thinking back, that has to have been the hardest time of my life. Back then, it wasn't so easy to drop to part time. I worked for 7 months full time, then dropped to 30 hours. I had 11 weeks off with Danielle. A bit more sensible but I was really poorly post-partum. A financial struggle though.
As a nurse I have always worked Christmas Day. I used to be so envious of people who could stay at home with their kids and see them grow up... But nah. I'm not now. I feel I've fulfilled my potential. Although , as I drove to work Christmas Days, in the past. I was filled with green jealousy as I passed brightly lit windows with families inside having fun.
Everyone says Christmas on a kids ward must be nice. It's not. Only the very sickest are there. The staff would all rather be at home with their families. It's a weird kind of insular feeling being there. Of course I used to MAKE sure they had fun. I remember one year getting in bed with a teen girl and watching pop idol shouting orders to the nurses. But everyone would rather be home. I'm lucky now. My little section doesn't work weekends or Holidays. It's right though, I've done my fair share and as a single mum I need to be there... For now. Until they've flown the coup.
I long for the days when I can be queen bee in the old peoples home and have first pick of the eligible old men. Just as long as I have my own teeth and can still pee on the toilet.

No comments: