Monday, February 20, 2006

trouble... again

I'm in big trouble.
My new family tax credit letter came in July, it caused some consternation because it said I owed them 8 grand.. Remember?
Anyways the new one came and I was awarded £ 3.50 a week more than last year. Now I get housing benefit which was reassessed 6 monthly. In November I went to the council office to ask about something and noticed a big sign.
"The housing benefit office no longer does routine assessments. If your circumstances have changed please tell us"
Oh dear, I thought and trotted home and got the relevant forms and submitted them.This was 3rd Nov 2005.
I haven't heard a thing. Until Friday when I went to get a form signed so I could go to the PDSA.
The girl said.. "Do you realise you owe 800 quid in rent?"
Now, remember. I don't do stress well, the cat was ill and I was worried.
The housing benefit had overpaid me 800 quid. I hadn't received a letter from them... Nothing. Then today the council tax writes. I owe them £ 363.46 due to overpayment.
How is this possible? I owe a grand in 4 months?
Well thinking of it logically they have taken 3 1/2 months to process that change of circumstances so its nearly 8 months.
I offered to pay the council tax in installments. Nope, they will take me to court, then I can pay in installments but not now. They were however really lovely, I got upset and she was so sweet, she even called me back after an hour to check I was ok.
She also said that for the past 4 years they've been charging me full council tax not the single persons allowance.. So that may help a little.
Housing benefit office weren't helpful at all. Wouldn't explain anything to me,were brusque and short and advised me to appeal. Which I've done. But I'm not sure on what grounds. But I asked for a recalculation and also complained about the amount of time it's taken to process it all... And I STILL to this minute haven't received a letter from them telling me all of this.
And now I'm all stressed and upset again and haven't got anyone to tell or hug or be there for me.
I'm crap.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're not crap. The system is crap. Pop to Citizens advice and tell them the story so far.
The worst that can possibly happen is you end up paying it instalments. That's the worst scenario.
Relax.
I'm very impressed with that girl in the council office :) What a darling!
If you talk to CAB they'll reassure you. Councils are crap with things like this. CAB will know the score, they'll have encountered it many times.
*hugs*
(and welcome homw Abby)

Spaceminx said...

*Hugs Trin* We're here for you sweetie, if in spirit not actual body. Exaxis & Laphroiag are right, its the system that's a big pile of shite not you. Get to that CAB. Love x