Friday, February 10, 2006

frilly friday

the coates family love Bristol
Did anyone see that dreadful holiday showdown programme with the family from Bristol... Really not far from me?
I did have to laugh at it. A classic example of people who've never known any better doing the same thing time after time. TBH, If they like doing day trips for their holidays what's the problem? But Bristol is hardly vacation central, and as for the 'sea' side traditional town of Weston Super Mare. Well, it was ok for T4 on the beach. That's the nicest thing I can say about it.
The family were classic Knowle West. Salt of the Earth but most definitely sure that the way they live was the best way... Well they know no better and tbh they were a nice family.
The teenagers however, longed for some adventure and to see more of the world.
The week in Bristol was painful and cringeworthy and I'm sure they showed them at their worst. The evening when they ate pot noodles for dinner was hilarious.
Then they all flew to Thailand. A week in Benidorm would have been ace. Like a very up class and hot WSM. But Thailand it was, hot, noisy colourful and busy. Too much for the poor Coates family, I suspect with the pressures of the Cameras as well, they found it awfully hard to cope.
But the teens loved it and I suspect really gained something from the experience.
I did wonder everyone made of Bristol though. Hmmm hardly going to get thousands of hotel bookings now ...
Ok on with today. A good day. Yes, a good day indeed. No anxiety, No trauma, No problems. I even dealt with a rather miserable consultant with such humour that he had to back down and go with the flow (MY FLOW) . Later he asked me to get a stool specimen from a baby. I went into his office to ask him what he wanted it sent to the lab for.
"What shall I send this off for" I smiled "Usual shit?"
And at that point I felt it time to head off home.
And so to tonight.
We were given details of the families the kids are staying with in St Lucia. I had a phone number. I called it and spoke to the Mum "Oti".
She was nice, spoke perfect English with no accent that I'd talk about. She sounded like the girl I worked with all day. She's looking forward to meeting Abby. I also spoke to her 18 year old boy called Jamal later, I got his sisters email address off him for Abby.... hmmm I did smile. Her addy starts with sexyorny. Teens! Imagine her parents embarrassment having to write THAT down for me.
Anyways to finish a wonderful day, the door knocked and I answered it.
The kids father.
How delightful. He came round to give Abby a fiver to spend on her holidays.
Groan.
Generous to a fault. How did I ever let that guy slip away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: