Friday, February 17, 2006

Oh Dear

Taylor with his usual scowl
Just when you think it's safe to get out of bed.....
This morning I got up and was getting ready for work. Taylor, the oldest cat was sat on my chair and I shooed him off to sit down with my cup of tea.
Horror, he went berserk and was lame. He couldn't put one of his hind legs down and was in an awful state.
I phoned work and told them I needed to take him to the vets. They were fine about it but I do feel guilty!
Then a call to the PDSA. They fitted him in and off we went.
The local PDSA is a wonderful place. Even the receptionist was friendly and lovely.
The vet was Swedish. Very dishy. Taylor was a nightmare. He's never been the friendliest of cats. I have no idea why, as he's been treated like a Prince his whole life (that's possibly the problem!)
He tried to attack the vet several times with loud hissing and growls.
Then the vet left me alone to go get an injection and he attacked me. I had to let him go and he was off the table and ran into the hospital. The vet was forced to chase after him. Luckily the lame leg prevented a major catastrophe.
The vet said he'd never met such a naughty cat. I was very embarrassed and tried to explain that he's treated very well.
Anyways it seems he's been injured in a cat fight (his fav pastime) and he has a very nasty infection.
I've never used the PDSA before even though I'm entitled. But money is tight this month. I gave a very generous donation on the way out.
They gave me a slip that said if I'd gone to a vet my bill would have been thirty pounds.
That made me laugh. I've had similar treatment before at the Local Vets and just that Painkilling / antibiotic jab would have cost 35 quid, let alone the vets fees.
But I do have to admit that I have never used PDSA before because I kinda feel if you can't afford a pet you shouldn't have one. They're such a worthy good organisation though. I was extremely impressed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

People's Dispensary For Sick Animals. People's??? Clearly a Marxist organisation. I know your sort.