Wednesday, September 01, 2004

AWOL

We lost a doctor in work today...noooo he didn't die silly! He turned up on the ward to do an ENT clinic at 13.30. But no patients had arrived, so I sent him off for a cup of tea and said I'd bleep him accordingly. 10 minutes later the first one trooped through the door plus all his siblings (the torment of school holiday clinics) so I bleep him, and bleep him, and at 14.30 I am still bleeping him. So I contact another doctor. She gives me his mobile number. I ring it constantly. Then switch gives me his room number....... No reply. By this time its 3pm and the natives are getting restless. I find another harassed doctor to take the clinic but really she's meant to be elsewhere. We all comment on how reliable he normally is. Then I start to worry. Earlier there'd been a huge accident in the hospital grounds when an old guy had hit accelerator instead of brakes and written off a few cars. Hmm my mind worried? Was he involved? Me and Lyn go out to try to find him. We scour the Doctors mess...Very messy but interesting (haha I have the code now) Theatres, the uni library where we meet his senior colleague and tell him. And he starts worrying too.
I become convinced we will find him dead.....'He better at least be dead after all this fuss' I tell Lyn!
We return to the ward and find him sheepishly at the desk. 'I was studying' he said. 'Don't think my bleep works'. Right. My theory is he fell asleep. I told him in no uncertain terms that next time...He gets tied to the desk and he doesn't move. All the worry he caused me.
Wish it was more like Holby. If it WAS Holby, he'd be kidnapped by armed robbers, one of which has a coronary whilst they get crushed by a juggernaut lorry and he single handedly saves the guys life before bleeding to death, but not before proclaiming his love for me as his last breath, which in turn makes me turn to drinks and drugs in the grieving process and I end up hanging myself outside sisters office.
Wow thankfully its not then...Because you lot would miss me...Wouldn't you?

2 comments:

clarrie said...

Nah, you shouldn't wish for it to be Holby, you should wish for you to be in ER, where all the doctors are handsome as f*ck.

Trinity said...

I wish!! In ER he'd be out saving some streetkid from a filling drain and emerge a hero then leave to get a job in some third world hole.
I'd never get my bloody clinic done!