Friday, January 06, 2006

Very Sad and Very Stupid

I am a big idiot. I don't deserve gifts. I took the phone back to the car phone warehouse.
The microphone has stopped working. I can hear you but you can't hear me.
I waited twenty minutes to be served.
I got a woman. Young, full of herself and mouthy.
She asked me if I needed to keep anything on the phone before she replaced it. She said she could make the new phone exactly like this one, transfer all the records, phone book etc... That was the mistake. I opened my mouth and out came 'Yes but it's unlocked to all phones, you can't sort that?'
Her face immediately changed and she put my phone down.
'I wish you hadn't told me that', she said. 'You've completely invalidated the guarantee. Nothing else we can do good bye'
I tried to argue, that it had nothing to do with a faulty microphone but she was vile and made me cry. I left the horrid carphone warehouse place in floods of tears.
I'm ashamed and pathetic. I let down the kind person who brought me it and I hope they aren't mad with me.
I don't do confrontation well, it upset me all afternoon.
I only had it three weeks :(

ps feel a bit cross, it's MY phone. It's not contract, its Pay as you go.Someone paid for it for ME , surely I can do what I want with it? use what sim I want? the fact the hardware broke in 2 1/2 weeks has nothing to do with unlocking it... even though the horrid bitch told me that the phone unlocker prob broke the microphone. Right.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not a phone expert but I do know something about electronics, including how microphones work and unlocking a phone will not damage a microphone. That's just crap. AFAIK unlocking to all networks just means typing in a code and that won't damage anything.

Unlocking will usually invalidate your warranty (check it) but that is not the same thing as the legal position, which is that the goods must be fit for the purpose. Since you have only had the phone since Christmas I believe you probably have a full right to a replacement or refund.

PS Or get Dim Prawn to buy you another one.

Anonymous said...

"If goods which are expected to last 6 months, do not do so it will be presumed that the goods did not conform to the contract at the time they were bought, unless the trader can prove to the contrary"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/watchdog/guides_to/consumerlaw/index2.shtml

Anonymous said...

Xoggoth is right, 'electronic' unlocking of the phone has no relevance to the warranty for physical defects. The unlocking didn't involve (or shouldn't) opening the phone or making physical modifications. All big companies try this rubbish, and because they can afford better lawyers they often get away with it. Keep everything, box, books, cables, receipts - the lot and contact consumer affairs for advice. The 'unlocking' could legally invalidate a network contract, but not the physical warranty unless they have any proof that there is any way (I've never heard of one) that the process could disable the microphone. You are sure that the mute function hasn't been enabled? Just in case....

YSL said...

Is there not a diff Carphone Warehouse you can go to? There are usually several in large city centres like Starbucks..

Jude said...

Complain in writing to your MP and everyone. I don't understand phone things but it sounds all wrong.

Unknown said...

If you feel up to it, go to CW again at a different time checking mouthy cow's not there and try again.

Hopefully you'll get a more pleasant person to deal with.

Anonymous said...

Indeed. The provision of an unlock code is something programmed into the phone, it is something the phone is DESIGNED to have done, so how can it damage it? Go and smash em with an axe Ms Flaps and then plead insanity.

Donna said...

Mrs Woman beat me to it. I would suggest the same. Go back to shop, see different assistant, this time don't mention the unlocking thing. Wish I was there to come with you. I'm an ace complainer ...