Thursday, January 26, 2006

uh oh

Right, I know you're all thinking what now?
Today started fine. I was ok, I slept in. Got myself sorted and was fully in the mood for work. I arrived on time. It was quiet. One patient in there being admitted. I went to help. Joined in and did my work.
About an hour later I began to feel very negative vibes towards me and I was frankly a bit perplexed. No idea why and tired to ignore it, until me and a very senior doctor got a verbal lashing. We were both shocked and moved away. Once alone I quietly apologised and that was the end of it.
Then the certain person went home.
I remarked to my other colleague that I was shocked at the outburst earlier. Then the shit hit the fan.
She told me the other person had gone to complain about me. She'd been crying, she said I was overbearing, interfering and critical.
Now, this is a very fragile week. I am a hard task master, I expect 100% of myself and others. But I think I'm fair and do it with humour and good will.
Maybe I don't, Maybe I really am crap.
They said it wasn't my problem but hers. But I'm having a slidey time. I feel a bit unsteady this week.
I got upset... Rather upset. Like ripping my hair out upset.
I haven't done that in ages and ages.
It's ok, I was alone. It wasn't infront of patients or anything.
Then I ceased to function and got sent home.
With huge doubts and my little self worth I've tried to build up.
I'm also really sad that we don't really all get on. That there is this awful back stabbing.
I don't want to go back there.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sweetness! Don't take this to heart. One person who's clearly more sensitive than you realised. I do wonder if she's in the wrong job though if she can't take a little direction. What will she doo when she has an upset and angry parent questioning every action the unit takes?
Your job is no picnic. You know that, you have to be surrounded by capable people who can take instruction quickly, intelligently and without a "me" perception about anything.
You know how placid I am but when it comes to my work, I HAVE to be brusque, assertive and on occasions downright rude. When push comes to shove, we need those around us to appreciate fast action and "the job in hand" can genuinely mean the difference between life and death.
Tiptoeing and mollycoddling does not do anyone any favours.
You are NOT a monster, any more than I am, doctors are or military instructors are. We just know what needs doing.
*hugs*

Anonymous said...

Let's say for the sake of argument that you are at least partly to blame Flaps, try not to get so hung up on it. We all say or do the wrong things from time to time, it's normal.

My diagnosis, go to your expensive gym a lot more and stop watching Big Brother, it destroys the brain.

Wish I had a job that meant the difference between life and death. A psychopath like me would just love that. I would be GOD!!!

What is it do you do exaxis? Ater that life and death stuff don't tell me you're an insurance salesman.