Thursday, January 19, 2006

Round here

Why don't people go out to work round here?
I was people watching the other day. I was watching the young men in Symes Avenue kicking cans up against the shutters on the empty shops. I was watching the young women each and every one with a pushchair and at least three kids tagging on and laden with shopping on the pushchair handles struggling to get home.
What happens to people around here that makes them this way.
I guess a number of issues and points but the fundamental basis of life is missing.
We work, we earn money to do stuff then on our days off we spend the money and relax.
I feel much sympathy for my neighbours around me. Living off the government there is little money left to do stuff like have holidays or go to the cinema. Sometimes they don't even have gas money too cook food or keep warm.
It's then I feel guilty that I moan I don't have enough and want to give them money to help out.
But what's the point in hand outs?
It never teaches self sufficiency.
These aren't drunks or drug addicts, these are normal average and very nice people.
And I guess the legacy will continue through their own kids because they don't know any better.
Maybe it's scary taking that first step towards work. But self esteem and financial need are so important.
I've had people knocking on my door begging for a pound coin to put some electric on their meter.
Round here people seem to have more and more kids. It's because it's something they CAN do and do well.
available in pink blue and 18 carat gold
My neighbours friend has just had a baby... a girl very sweet little thing, but she was boasting that she already has 8 pairs of trainers. You know the baby ones?
Nike or Reebok, they cost 20 to 30 quid a pair.
My girls have one pair each and they cost a tenner.
Makes me sad living here, all around me is apathy and despair and desolation.
I know, it's not all bad. There's some hard working salt of the earth people here and there's also behind the scenes organisations trying hard to address these issues, but for some people this will be their lives. And their children's lives and it will continue for time immemorial.
Damn.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree totally that in the end, benefit dependency does the recipients no service at all.

They get away with it because the state lets them get away with it. Anyone who does not do everything possible to find work should have benefits cut to an absolute rock bottom minimum subsistence level. In the case of those without kids, perhaps removed altogether.

Maybe compulsory workfare. It doesn't take one long to see ways that such a force could make themselves useful.