Sunday, July 17, 2005

War Of The Worlds


Well she drove me nuts to go to the cinema, so finally I gave in and we went. War Of The Worlds.
There we far more people here than I thought considering it was such a hot day.
The film started well. It laid the family story down quickly and we were straight in to the action. The arrival of the first tripod was amazing, the action fast and believable. Tom's reaction of shock and horror excellent and the tension building to fever pitch.
My grip has to do with the interminable teen boy. Yes, Abby he was hot. He was a good actor but his negative attitude and constant arguing with his father in face of such utter devastation and loss of life got on my nerves, frankly after 1/2 hour I wished the tripod would zap him. Then he sods off. One 17 year old boy to face the tripods. Stupid fool I wanted to yell, go be fried.
The scene in the middle with Tim Robbins...Well utter crap. I guess it was put there because we couldn't have Tom and Dakota running all over the country screaming for an hour. Also it gave Tom chance to think and find out more about the tripods. But what a lot of rubbish.
The let down however is the ending. Ok I did enjoy the film and to be fair, they crammed more action in for our enjoyment but the ending hung on one sentence from the Book and then a twee ending of perfection. Yes Abby cried a bit.
I was well pissed that the first beats of da da da Jeff Waynes music weren't played at the end. Just this doom music.
Worth seeing.... Well yes. Not sure about it's effects being as good on the small screen though. But Tom Cruise was excellent, his heroics were for the love of his kids. And actually he wasn't THAT heroic. Nothing stupid often settling for being quiet and hiding, like anyone would do in that kind of crisis.

1 comment:

Keith Horowitz said...

I agree with you assessment of the movie. It was an exciting adventure. But overall it just felt like poorly paced running around. The breaks from the stress were often too long and disjointed. The plot twists you expect don't happen, and you wonder why they wasted 20 minutes on the build up. Most of the movie feels like a low-intensity saving-private-ryan-battlefield-scene - just about the violence, and so little about the people, or plot.
And I kept expecting him to start singing 'old time rock-n-roll' in his underwear. :)