Tuesday, July 05, 2005

/Scream

Back to work today
Working with a Doctor who I'm not too fond of. I tried to avoid him most of the time.
Half way through the day we had to take blood. A small child who was very frightened.
I got the blood bottles and labels ready we only needed two bottles. One red one white.
I calmed the child and held his hand firmly...the doc took the blood. First the red bottle, then the ...green? I asked what the green bottle was for. 'Ferritin' he told me. I said ferritin goes in White. He disagreed and continued the fill the green bottle ignoring me. A lot of eye flashing to him and he eventually took 1/2 bottle in a white bottle.
I know 100% that this particular test CANNOT be done in Green. I told him so after the child had gone. He ignored me, actually he patronised me.
I went into the office and phoned the lab. They told me that in our hospital ferritin has to be done in a White bottle, the green bottle contains lithium heparin and can't be used.
I went out and told him what the lab said. 'Apparently' whilst I was in the office he 'also' phoned the lab and got it confirmed that you use a GREEN bottle.
At this point I began to loose the plot.
I phoned the laboratory again with the doc infront of me and asked them. 'White' they said. Now bored of this question, I handed the phone to the doctor who argued blind with them, but ok then agreed White.
He then told me he'd thrown the white bottle away.
We're talking about bloods on a very scared little child. We do not make mistakes and get them to have blood done again. Especially when I was right all along.
Then it was time to go home.
I went out to the car and cried.
With total frustration and resignation.
These doctors leave in a few weeks time. They've been with us six months and they don't know what bottle to put blood in? Fecking useless. I'm so pissed off now.

2 comments:

Keith Horowitz said...

Wow - that was not fun. You were right! He should have at least given you a lot more respect in so many ways. I can be frustraited by my job - but that sounds like a really frustraiting day. I'm glad you handled it the best you could. You did what you had too. You still care. But you didn't let those cares overwhelm you while you had to be professional. You waited until you were in your car. That shows more strength of will than many people had. Some people would have stopped caring - others would have let themselves become unprofessional - you kept just the right balance. It was a tough day - and you did just right. Hugs!!

Spaceminx said...

(((Hugs))) from me too Trin. You should've shoved the green bottle where the sun don't shine.