Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Trains vs teens

Why are some people so thick?
We're home. The girls are sad, I'm pleased to get back and check on the cats. Kizzy took a while to come back in but it was a relief when she did.
The train journey was an experience. Manchester to Birmingham was ok. But Birmingham to Bristol?...yeuk. It was rush hour. We arrived in Brum to a sea of people trying to get on the train. The departure info wasn't THAT clear and too few screens. So we asked, found the platform and waited our train. It arrived and tons of people pushed on, trying desperately to get infront of us. To grab that elusive seat. But we had booked seats. Now what is the train etiquette? Ignore this fact and stand up for two hours? No. They should have fecking booked wankers. So I made them move and my God, what a miserable lot. The woman in my seat said she'd got booked seats but on the next train. She'd got an earlier one though. Well love, if you want to sit down then you should have got the correct train. I have moody teen who will not stand for any reason.
Then I spot a mother asleep and her little girl running amok up and down the aisle screaming, being chased by her brother. Oh God Have I got zero tolerance or what? I sat there priding myself that my kids were NEVER like that. And they weren't. I was a very tough mum and they were always very well behaved as little kids. I sat with my smug smile on my face when a voice broke the dream "Mum tell Danielle she's being annoying"
"MUM tell Abby, she's being mean"
Bubble burst POP.
So we're home, tired and happy? well not all of us. I wasn't in here twenty seconds when.
"Mum can I sleep out in the fields with my mates?"
What?
So we've been back for less than a minute and she wants me to drive her to Whitchurch, she wants to sleep in the fields away from the houses, in the dark, with a group of other 14 year olds?
Hmmm, now part of me thinks. That's the sort of thing we did years ago. Fun and spontaneous. But then I think seriously. I live in a council estate. In those fields are probably needles and condoms. Weirdos sleeping rough, and is she 100% safe?
And another thing. Would I be able to rest knowing she's out in the open air, potentially a murder/ rape/ violence victim. This isn't exactly the nicest of areas.
So I said No...well what I said was I want to speak to every other mother, so they all know where you're going and not be pretending to sleep round another girls house. And if they all think it's safe well ok.
She didn't take me up on that one, so she'd staying home.
They miss Clarrie, they both said. Clarrie is lovely, R is lovely and Owen is cute.
Abby wants to go to Afflecks Palace again...This time with lots of cash.
Right!

No comments: