Monday, June 06, 2005

Here I go again....

I think I'm an impatient Diva. But I can't help it.
This morning I rushed like crazy to get ready for work, drop Abby off and get to the doctors for these sodding blood tests.
I arrived at the treatment room bright and ready. Now what does the word reception mean to you? Meet, greet? Welcome? All correct. Now try the word receptionist. Welcoming, helpful.
No those words don't appear to apply to most of the receptionists in my health centre (there is one. Just one whose really quite nice there)
I stood at her desk. She sat at the other side punching something into her computer. She could see me standing there. But she didn't acknowledge me. Her eyes stayed fixed on the screen. Then she shuffled some paper. Someone came in and said good morning to her...A nurse I think. She turned her chair away from me and her face lit up. She started talking to this person. She turned back, I saw her lift her eyes slightly and a slight jolt as she saw my uniform. After a final tap on the PC she looked up.
'Yes?' she said.
I need some bloods taken I told her and passed the form my GP had given me.
'Well we have no appointments left today' she told me.
I told her that they were urgent and the gp wanted them done today.
'Didn't you know we work on an exclusive appointment system only?' pursed lips.
Duh no you stupid bitch........ ' No I didn't sorry' sweet smile.
'When exactly did he give you this' she waved the form.
'Friday' WTF? What's it to do with her? I start to feel myself bristle. The hairs go up on the back of my neck.
'why exactly do you want to know' I retorted.
'No reason' she said.
'So you aren't able to do them?' I asked.
Now I am dangerously close to an emotional blow out. It's taken me quite an effort to go there. Yet again another prodding, poking, questioning. Different people who don't know me from Adam. Staying calm and reasonable.
'ok forget it' I turned and began to walk away.
I heard her choke a little behind me. She said something. But I was gone. Free.
I walked back to the GP's section. The receptionist I liked was there. I asked her for some paper and wrote a note to the doctor telling him I wasn't able to do it and why.
Then I walked out and started to cry. Frustration mainly. Now I had to go to work. I phoned Lyn on the mobile and she said chill, we'll do them here no problems. But my manager wanted to call the health centre and complain.
Thing is though, I'm not sure how much interpretation of her negative behaviour was down to my extremely negative and petulant persona when faced with having to do anything with my health.
But I am sure that I do not greet people like that. That I always smile and am always helpful. Today I spent hours sorting out things for individual patients. Phoning and organising, giving my name out. Being accountable for my actions and facing the general public with an attitude that frankly didn't sneer because I was at one side of the desk and they the other.
I guess I am the nightmare patient. Hands up, I admit it. But don't shoot me.

No comments: