Monday, August 30, 2004

Work!

I thought I'd explain a bit about why work is so vile ATM. I've worked on the kids unit since September 1986. Wow 18 years! I come of age.
When I started it was always known that the unit would shut at some point. The problem is that a kids unit within a city hospital isn't idea. The unit is great but we use adult facilities for surgery, x-ray, ecg, audiology...You name it we use it. The Children's charter encourages designated Children's Hospitals and I respect that. However I feel we are an excellent unit. We are caring and efficient.
Over the 18 years the news that 'we are closing' has raised its ugly head many times. To be honest, to begin with I'd get twitched and worried. No-one really embraces change, to that degree. But now I think ...Oh yeah heard it all before.
But this time it seems suddenly more final. We do seem to be moving. Somewhere. Where? Who knows.
There isn't room for us at the Children's Hospital and as we take 65% of all the city's Children. That's quite a need. There's been talk of 'blasting' out a cave under the hospital for us..... How lovely! a ward with no windows at all.
Truth is I actually want to move to the children's Hospital. Its just I want to move with the staff I'm working with now and the general Paediatric specialty I work with now.
The kids Hospital is a prestitious place. It gets all the attention and money. Its new and sparkly and its on a good bus route from my new home.
Its big change but I'm sure it will be ok eventually.
But where does that leave my present work. Well not replacing nurses who leave for a start. Also a lot of insecure people who either don't want to work at the Kids (it is very different, and the trust isn't hugely caring) the parking in town is very bad. If they aren't on a bus route? Well tough luck. So rather than sit and wait they are actively looking to move somewhere where they want to work. Rather than be placed somewhere. Don't blame them really.
So like rats leaving the sinking ship, they go. And we sink. And those left work harder to maintain the service for the clients. Apathy sets in. Sickness rate rises. No-one is happy. They leave.
I am a kids nurse. I cannot return to adults. But I do not know what will happen. This winter will be tough for us all. Watch this space

No comments: