Friday, August 20, 2004

The Pop Charity Song

1985 and Bob Geldolf Started something with his charity song 'Do they Know its Christmas' in aid of the Third World. I remember sat listening to it and being so proud that the pop stars that I adored were taking part in this historic moment. Then my father ruining it by saying 'turn that rubbish off' . I then had a blazing row about how at least THEY were helping whereas my dad just turned a blind eye to world suffering. Such a advocate for world affairs (not). Anyway I was thinking about how many of these well meaning charity records there have been.


  • We are the world. U.S.A For Africa. A star studded track.
  • Ferry across the Mersey. The football disaster? Hillsborough I think
  • Candle in the Wind. Elton Johns Princess Di Tribute
  • Let it Be. For the Zeebrugge disaster with Dire Straits Sir Paul
  • Sun City artist's united against Apartheid . Pop goes Political

For every major tragedy for a while there seemed to be a pop record. And I know there's more. Any ideas?

I'm not sure what I thought of the rise of socially responsible benefit records. I'm sure that it brought to my own individual attention the plight of people in the World. Maybe today's Young People are more socially aware. I think my own girls are definitely. We've actually had children from Chernobyl region stay with us for weeks on end. There always seems to be a price in upsetting the balance of charity donations. Look at the national lottery. That has taken money away from needy organisations and plumped up others. But there will always be some that never give and never will. I remember being totally 100% for giving overseas then but now feel I like to give closer to home as there is gross social deprivation right here even in my very own Street.

How can you criticize something though that at least tried? These Rock Stars at least brought stuff to our attention. The whole concept of political rock is quite the issue now. Many stars are extremely pro-active in voices their views on world events and politics. And too right as well!! I am a total believer in informed Consent. Don't sit back and let it flash past you especially with some of these megalomaniacs at our helm.


No comments: