Friday, August 13, 2004

The Music Therapy

Last night I went through my CD collection and played all the music that really meant something to me, particularly over these last few years. If I lost a sense, hearing would be the most difficult for me as I can lose myself in a track, and achieve inspiration and comfort. I picked out 10 tracks that have really spoke to me, played them, wrote them down and thought about the time in my life when they mattered. You know I went to bed chilled and relaxed and happier.
  1. Street Spirit-Radiohead ( a wild period and a beautiful song)
  2. Bother-Stone Sour (A period of anticipation and disappointment)
  3. Toxic Girl- Kings of Convenience (uplifting and pretty at a time of change)
  4. Volcano-Damien Rice ( A time to break free and stand alone)
  5. Warning Sign-Coldplay ( A time for God, a realisation of spirituality)
  6. I'm No Angel-Dido ( A time for friends)
  7. Run-Snow Patrol (feeling needed again)
  8. Out Of Time-Blur (A time to breath and take stock)
  9. Trouble-Coldplay (The start of my need to share music)
  10. When we dance-Sting ( a song with real complete love that I realised I didn't have)

They aren't in any order and I love these songs. Songs that will always make me stop and think. And think, good positive thoughts, maybe sometimes a little wistful but never sadly.

Isn't it sad that from the most tortured, confused souls come the most meaningful music sometimes. Look at Elliot Smith. I could easily have added 'Between the Bars' but I don't wish to linger over that period of time or give it more importance than it deserves. But Elliott was truly talented and very insular and in the end he killed himself. But the music lives on through him. I could have added Bowie 'Life on Mars' which was one of the first tracks I remember being passionate about. I love the mix of guitar riff and orchestra at the end.

I hope Abby and Danz love music as much as I do. I try to veer them away from popular culture and into more diverse stuff...... They love Pavement! The trick is to play it in a loop over and over in the car till they're singing it without even thinking. Mind Abby bought the new McFly album this week and played it upstairs and it is truly dreadful. A really bad attempt to imitate some 60's band like the Monkies and failing miserably. I just got her and Danika tickets to see The Rasmus in Bristol. A gentle introduction to a real rock gig. Am I a good mum or what? ;-)


No comments: