Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Open Wider

My dental hospital experience was smooth today. The hospital is smart and clean, helpful and friendly receptionists and dental nurses. I had an x ray which was efficient and very quick. Then I saw the dental surgeon. A young and very attractive Asian guy with a very posh accent. He attempted to read my dentists handwriting and then examined me (unfortunately just my teeth) then he sat back. He told me that my root filling, that I'd paid a fortune for when I was married, was basically rubbish. He pointed out the filling on the x ray and said it was very flimsy and not done well. And basically before they went to the very last resort of surgery, they'd prefer me to get a decent root filling done by an expert and see if that helps. I can see his point. Apparently if having surgery fails and an infection sets in then I would lose the tooth and it's a front tooth!
So what choices do I have I asked. Well a decent root canal expert for one tooth would cost on average £500 upwards per tooth. Or failing that I could always have my current dentist Mr Bungawalla, recently transported over from Africa, with his varied command of the English language to 'have a go'. Cross my fingers and just hope.
I think I may just try to change dentists but finding a decent NHS dentist that's taking newbies on is very hard to do and all the decent ones are just doing private practice which is awfully sad.
So basically my visit was a bit of a waste of my time and theirs because any decent dentist would have known to give the root filling another proper try. The evidence is there on the damn X-Ray.
Oh well. C'est la Vie.
Abby's just returned home. School shut an hour early so they could teach some student teachers stuff.
I did have a lush Subway sandwich for lunch though, and buy Nichole's present...Oh and get three packs of Marks and Spencers Hot X Buns. Damn that new advert for M&S food. I spent £20 in there.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there

It might be worth trying the Apple Dental Surgery in Winterbourne (BS37). They are very good dentists and have an open door policy for NHS patients. People from all over Bristol and beyond register there - you don't have to be local to register. I live 25 miles away but it's worth the journey.

Love your blog
C:)

Spaceminx said...

Oooh that M&S ad has me dribbling every time. Its the roast potatoes and chocolate pudding that do it for me. Mmmmmmmm. I may have to go shopping in M&S after I've been here.