Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Crossdressers for Christ

Crossdressers for Christ

: " I Corinthians 6:12 Everything is permissible for me, but not everything is helpful. Everything is permissible for me, but I will not allow anything to control me."

I find it fascinating how the bible is interpreted in so many ways. I have a long standing cynicism of the Jehovah Witness's faith. I can't understand how anyone would put a religion before their own children. I looked after a tiny premature baby in a NICU once where the parents refused her treatment because of their faith. We took the case to court and the child had treatment. I also looked after a teenage boy who was having his tonsils out and signed his consent form forbidding us to give him blood in an emergency. I found him crying in the corridor afterwards saying that he didn't want to die but if he didn't do as he was told his family would reject him for life. We got the consent form resigned and said if he needed blood we'd give it in theatre so no-one would know. The guy was fine though and didn't require anything at all. I do wonder what happened to the baby though.
These things are the reasons I won't give the Jehovah Witness faith the time of day. They have interpreted the Bible in a certain way, whether it's right or wrong isn't my place to say but as a relatively new and committed atheist, their views are very hard to understand.
The principles of Christianity are good ones. But it is possible to live a good and caring and decent life without the bible.
How many so called Christians out there would through up their hands in horror at the thought of Cross dressers using the bible and Jesus's name to front their lives. Maybe not you, but I believe there'd be quite a few. Once at church we had a transvestite join us for the service. Do you know what happened? Well we had several meetings to discuss this man and what we all felt about it. Telling us to accept him and make him feel welcome...Ok so good.
But surely in God's church we are all equal. I don't understand why they needed meetings to 'discuss' this issue.
I have dyed red hair. If I turned up in church and you had to have a meeting about me because my hair wasn't acceptable, I'd never come back again.
In the face of so much goodness and desire to do right by God, the window opens for so much corruption and doubt. Christians pay lip service to Christianity all the time. But are they really Christian in the true sense of the word? I'd rather maintain my own views and have only myself, my family, friends and the law to answer to. Not a lot of people who think because they have their God on their side, they are by far better a person that I am.

No comments: